Tuesday, January 14, 2014

1931 Ever Ready Shaving Brush Restore


I found this Ever Ready shaving brush on Ebay and for some reason, I had to have it.  I liked the colors and knew it would be a good project.  Here it is when it came in the mail.  The old knot hair was dry and kind of nasty.  It almost looked like boar and not badger.





I used a drill and drilled out the old knot exposing the original knot cavity.  


A little MAAS polish shined it right up.



After using the Dremel for some time, I was able to expose the original lead weight ring.




I used some plastic beads and 5 dimes to weight the handle down.


Stacked 5 dimes up.


I then packed in as many plastic beads as I could around the coins and on top to make up the new knot base shelf.



Taped up for the epoxy.


Epoxied in the knot base shelf.


I used the Dremel to grind out the opening to fit the new 18mm knot and grind a flat spot in the epoxy shelf for the new TGN 18mm knot.  This also roughs up the epoxy shelf for the knot set epoxy to adhere to.


Set the new TGN 18mm knot in Finest Badger and the epoxy level came out perfectly, right to the top of the handle.  Here is the finished brush.




1 comment: