Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Ever Ready 100T Shaving Brush Restore


This is my first shaving brush restore.  It's an old Ever Ready 100T and it wasn't too bad off as a handle but that old knot had to go.







Tied up the old knot and cut it out.



I used a drill and bit to expose the old knot base.


In case you're wondering a US penny is 18mm.
Dime = 16mm
Penny = 18mm
Nickel = 22mm
Quarter = 24mm



Used the drill to remove the old knot base and expose the hollow handle.



Sanding here with 220 grit paper.  If I had to do over again, I probably would have started with 400 grit.


A bit of work going from 220, to 600 wet sanding, 800 wet sanding, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000 grit.  After I was satisfied with the 2000, I used MAAS polish to shine it up.





These plastic beads came from a local plastic company where I was doing some work for my company.  Thanks Dan!  I used these beads to weight the handle down and fill the handle to where I could epoxy in a flat base for the new TGN knot to set down in.


Here is the epoxy knot "shelf" where the new knot will set down in.


Getting ready to "swipe" paint the letters gold.



I swabbed on the paint with a q-tip filling the letters and waited a bit, then did it again and let dry.  I sanded a bit and polished it up again with MAAS.





Here is the TGN 18mm finest badger knot set in epoxy on the epoxy shelf I built earlier.  It was a perfect restore with the epoxy coming right to the top of the handle as the new knot was set.



5 comments:

  1. Hello Curt, I really enjoyed seeing this post! Excellent work on the Ever Ready. I use an Ever Ready now that belonged to my Grandfather. I don't know if I can ever restore it, but I definitely want to try restoring one similar I can get off ebay. Thanks for sharing and documenting this refurbish so well. As someone who may try my hand at a brush restore can I ask; where can you purchase Badger or Boar Knots from a reputable dealer without having to buy in bulk? And what kind of Epoxy did you use to set the knot in place? Thanks for posting.-Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Glad it helped!
    The knots came from: http://thegoldennib.com
    The epoxy is JBweld from Walmart. Nothing fancy. You can see the red tube in the blog. Good luck friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curt can you send me the dimensions of this handle? Top bottom waist and height and the diameter of the flange on top I want to clone this handle and sink a bigger knot. A 24 or 26 to Make a chubby 100t thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you re-use the old (narrower) knot base or just place the knot in the larger hole (mine measures ~ 21mm)?

    ReplyDelete